St. Paul, MN Residents: Explore Our Garage Door Service Offerings
Garage Door Spring Repair Practices in St. Paul
As a homeowner, you know that life is full of unforeseen occurrences, often appearing when you least expect them. One such inconvenience is having your car stuck in the garage, particularly after a recent garage door repair. Enter Pro Family Overhead, dedicated to upholding industry best practices and providing outstanding advice to homeowners every time we work in a garage. These practices not only save you time and money but also emphasize our commitment to customer satisfaction.
Preferred Method #1 - Renewing Both Springs
Most garage doors come with a pair of springs installed at the same time. If one fails, chances are the other is also close to the end of its useful life. To avoid any future issues, possible risks, and damage to the garage door opener, Pro Family Overhead generally advises replacing both springs. Similar to changing both car tires if one bursts, it's essential to preserve valuable assets like garage doors and vehicles by replacing both garage door springs.
Preferred Method #2 - Selecting Proper Springs
Because garage doors come in various weights and dimensions, the proper springs must be used to balance the door correctly. Installing the wrong spring may damage the garage door system and cause the opener to be overworked. This could lead to early opener failure and more repair calls. DIY spring replacement is risky for the same reason. That's why our St. Paul, MN technicians always install the appropriate springs based on the door's weight and carry out a balance test to double-check their work.
Preferred Method #3 - Executing a Safety Inspection
For each spring repair, Pro Family Overhead performs a complimentary safety inspection, making sure all hardware and moving components on your door function well and adhere to safety guidelines. Given that the hardware was probably installed with the springs, some worn mechanical parts on your door might be hazardous. A defective spring might point to a more pressing problem with your door. Hence, delivering a free safety inspection and fostering a secure environment for our customers is a best practice.
We carry an extensive range of springs to accommodate the various types of garage doors. We recommend having a professionally trained technician take precise measurements before providing you with an exact price quote. Get in touch with Pro Family Overhead today to have a skilled technician give you an estimate for garage door spring repair!
What's the Best Garage Door Opener for Your Home?
Chain Driven Openers
One of the most commonly used and reliable types of openers is the chain drive. This opener operates the garage door on its track using a metal chain. Chain drives are generally more affordable than belt drives, making them popular in St. Paul. However, chain drive openers can be noisy, making them less suitable for garages located below or adjacent to the main rooms in your home. We usually do not recommend these types of openers because the minor cost savings are not worth it. LiftMasterÂ® does not offer a lifetime warranty for the chain, unlike the belt on belt drives, and the motor is considerably noisier.
Belt Driven Openers
Belt-powered openers are considered the top choice in the garage door industry. They are as reliable as chain-powered openers and nearly silent. These openers run on a steel-reinforced belt and typically cost slightly more than chain and rod-powered openers. If your garage is connected to your home and close to bedrooms, you'll appreciate the quiet operation of a belt-powered opener installed by Pro Family Overhead. Many customers love their belt-powered openers and can't imagine returning to a noisier chain-powered model.
Screw Driven Openers
Screw-driven openers use a lifting device that runs on a threaded steel rod, as opposed to a chain or rubber belt. They work best in locations with consistent weather and temperature throughout the year. For St. Paul residents experiencing fluctuating weather patterns, a screw drive opener may not be the best option. They are the slowest and noisiest of the three types of openers and are the least expensive. If you're not a fan of slow or noisy openers, a screw-driven opener may not be the right fit for your garage.
Jackshaft openers are unique in that they are mounted on the wall beside your garage door, connecting to the torsion spring above the door. They are an excellent choice for garages with high ceilings or when you want to clear up some ceiling space. Jackshaft openers are slightly more expensive than traditional ceiling-mounted openers.
Why Choose Pro Family Overhead? 10 Game-Changing Reasons
- Proven Experience: Our unrivaled know-how, characterized by a history of success and numerous pleased customers, ensures that our industry-leading professionals will manage your garage door needs with utmost efficiency.
- Comprehensive Range of Products and Services: Pro Family Overhead offers an extensive selection of products and services to cater to your unique requirements. Whether you need custom-made doors, repair, or installation services, we have the perfect solution for you.
- Professional Staff: Our personnel are well-versed and exhibit professionalism in their approach. They understand the significance of exceptional customer service and aim to make your interactions with them enjoyable. From answering your questions about garage doors to providing guidance on overhead door maintenance, they're prepared to support you.
- High-Quality Materials: Our company uses the highest quality materials available. This means that your door will be durable and attractive, ensuring that it looks good while also lasting a long time. You can have peace of mind knowing that you are investing in something of value with a garage door company in St. Paul.
- Safety First: We prioritize the correct and safe installation of your doors and gates. This means that you can have peace of mind knowing that the installation and maintenance of your garage door adhere to the highest standards, fostering a secure environment for your loved ones.
- Cost-Effective Solutions: Pro Family Overhead proposes a selection of budget-conscious offerings for your garage door challenges. Locate a solution that caters to your budget, encompassing installations, maintenance, and personalized designs.
- Efficient Services: Time plays a crucial role in the repair or installation of doors and gates. A distinguished St. Paul company will guarantee that your needs are met in a timely and effective manner.
- Excellence Guaranteed: We guarantee excellence in our services and products, ensuring that any doors and gates repairs or installations are executed to the highest standards. This provides you with the assurance that your investment is well-guarded.
- Warranty: We offer warranty protection for your investment, covering any malfunctions or accidental damages to your overhead door. This coverage helps to mitigate stress and financial concerns that may arise from a defective door.
- Customer Satisfaction: Above all else, an Our company will prioritize customer satisfaction. We want to meet and exceed your expectations, ensuring you are delighted with our services and products.
Problems with Garage Door Repair That We See Frequently
Broken Springs: If your garage door isn't working correctly, check the condition of the springs. They're under high tension and can break easily.
Worn-out Rollers: The rollers that aid in opening and closing your garage door can become worn out over time. This can lead to a noisy or stuck door.
Damaged Panels: Over time, the panels on your garage door may become damaged due to weather or normal wear and tear. They can also be hit by a vehicle or heavy object.
Misaligned Tracks: If your garage door isn't functioning correctly, check the tracks for misalignment. Misaligned tracks can cause the door to get stuck or fall off the tracks.
Faulty Opener: A faulty garage door opener can cause problems with the opening and closing of your door. Calling a professional for assistance with any issues related to the opener is recommended.
Safety Sensor: The safety sensor is often responsible for garage door issues. It can get knocked out of alignment by playful children or objects, leading to difficulty in closing the door correctly. To prevent this problem, it's important to keep an eye on the sensor and ensure it remains aligned.
Dealing with the Most Common Door Issues Requiring RepairFrames: If the garage door frame is bent or damaged, it can make the whole structure unstable, which can be a significant safety concern. Therefore, it's crucial to replace or repair the affected frames immediately.
Installation: An incorrect installation can lead to a range of problems. A garage door that is not installed properly can be unstable and unsafe, making it imperative to remedy the issue as soon as possible.
Pests: Pest infestation, such as termites and carpenter bees, is a potential issue to keep in mind when it comes to wooden doors. Be sure to inspect your wooden door regularly for any signs of intrusion.
Hinges: When the hinges on your gate are misaligned or damaged, it can cause problems with opening and closing. Fortunately, a professional can typically remedy this issue with ease.
Rotting: Wooden doors that aren't sealed or treated properly can rot over time, leading to weakened doors that may collapse eventually.
Sagging: The weight of a wooden gate is the primary cause of sagging. To prevent this issue, it's essential to use heavy-duty hardware and properly secure the gate posts.
Rollers: When it comes to your overhead door, functional rollers are necessary for smooth operation. Worn-out or damaged rollers can make it challenging to open and close the door properly. Replacing them is typically a simple repair.
Fading: The color of your gate may fade with time due to various reasons, including weather conditions and exposure to the sun. Repainting it every few years can help maintain its appearance.
Warping: Overhead doors may become misshapen due to extreme weather conditions, which can cause warping. Exposure to hot or cold temperatures is often the cause.
Rusting: Rust is a common issue that arises from exposure to moisture or humidity. If you live in a humid area, it's important to keep a close eye on your overhead door and look for any signs of rust.
Why You Should Consider Replacing Your Garage Door in St. Paul
Replacing your garage doors is a smart move from a strict sale / resale perspective, but what other reasons might motivate St. Paul homeowners to do so? Here are a few possibilities:
Reduce Home Energy Use
Insulated overhead doors can help reduce the transfer of hot and cold air into the garage and home, leading to lower energy bills for St. Paul, MN homeowners.
Raise Your Home's Attractiveness
Your garage doors play a significant role in your home's appearance. Enhancing them in St. Paul can have a substantial impact on your home's curb appeal at a reasonable price.
Ensure Safety and Security
The garage door is a common entry point for burglars in St. Paul. Can you trust that your current garage door is not easily manipulated by malicious intruders? Furthermore, if your garage door is not updated, you may lack the latest safety features, such as automatic reversal that raises the door upon contact with an unexpected object.
Silence Garage Door Noise
The noise from garage doors can be disturbing, especially for people who have bedrooms located next to or above the garage. At Pro Family Overhead, we provide a solution with our ultra-quiet nylon hinges that ensure a smooth and silent garage door operation.
Answers to Common Questions from Our St. Paul, MN Customers
Do I need a professional to install my new garage door?
At Pro Family Overhead, our stance is that garage door installation is a job for professionals, not a DIY project. As the largest moving part in your home, garage door installation involves a multitude of small components, making it a highly technical process. The connection of springs is especially treacherous, and the door's functioning relies on accurate installation. Experienced garage door dealer/installers can often complete the installation in a few hours, while paying close attention to safety requirements. By contrast, most homeowners spend several days on installation, often feeling frustrated. In addition, incorrect installation could negate certain warranties, so we recommend hiring a professional for the task. These experts can also handle the disposal of your old door when you're getting a replacement.
Would an insulated door be energy-efficient for an un-insulated garage?
The transfer of heat or cold air through the large garage door opening can be minimized by installing insulated doors. This is essential if your garage is attached to your home, used as a workshop, or located below another room in your house. Additionally, insulated doors are quieter and more visually appealing.
- Comfort is a top priority if you use your garage as a workshop.
- Maintaining comfortable temperatures in your living area if your garage is attached to your home.
- Using insulated doors can ensure a stable temperature in the room above when the garage is situated below another room.
- Insulated doors have a more attractive interior and are generally quieter than non-insulated doors.
Steel vs. wood garage door - which to choose?
Choosing a steel door can mean less maintenance compared to wood. Pro Family Overhead's steel doors come pre-painted with a baked-on coating. We recommend cleaning the exterior of the door with warm water and household detergent once a year. Our wood doors are delivered unfinished and need to be primed and painted or stained on all six sides. It's advised to visually inspect the finish once a year to determine if another coat is required.
Would it be a good idea to replace my one-piece garage door with a sectional garage door?
Your local garage door dealer/installer can install a sectional door by adding appropriate track and springs. Modifications may be necessary based on your garage's construction, so have your St. Paul, MN dealer assess the job beforehand.
Can I paint my new garage door to match my house's color scheme?
At Pro Family Overhead, our steel doors are pre-painted with a baked-on coating that can be repainted using a range of commercially available latex exterior paints. It's important to follow the paint manufacturer's instructions and avoid oil-based paints.